The Methodist cause in Caersws dates back to 1799, when the congregation gathered at premises close to the entrance to the recreation ground near to the river. This site became prone to flooding, so in 1874 a new Chapel was built on its present site in Station Road. It was established as an English Church attached to the Newtown Circuit, with a Minister resident in the village. The English cause then became defunct, but with the onset of the religious revival of 1904 it was reopened in 1912. This was as a Welsh-preaching Church attached to the Llanidloes Circuit. From this time it has continued to hold Services regularly, though now again in the English language. In 1950 it hosted the South Wales District Synod, the delegates being billeted out with the families of the congregation of Caersws and neighbouring churches.
Centenary celebrations were held in 1974. The present congregation has among its members descendants of those families who were responsible for the reopening way back in 1912.
We have a committed membership who take a pride in their church and play their part in the Welshpool and Bro Hafren Circuit events. They also cooperate with the other places of worship in Caersws under the auspices of Cytun, ("Churches Together"). With Cytun, every effort is made to reach out to the village. For example, an Open Air Songs of Praise has been held in the Children's Playground, attended this year by over eighty hearty singers, and a tradition has been established of holding a Village Carol Service in the Village Hall at Christmastime. Cytun also joins in such village events as "Fun Days" or Carnivals. The different Churches of Cytun worship together on the first Sunday of every month, the venues normally in alphabetical order. However, for such main events as Education Sunday, Women's World Day of Prayer, Remembrance Sunday, etc. the different Churches become the current year's host, again alphabetically. In 2008, our Methodist Church is the host. Next year it will be the Presbyterian Church, and so on. Our Methodist Church takes part in all of these joint efforts.
For the last five years, our Methodist Church has held a Sankey Evening in May. This is normally on a Sunday evening round about the 20th, and is a very popular and inspiring event.
Dorothy Morris and Michael Jones